Designed for students with some taiko playing experience, this class focuses on the integration of movement of bachi, arms and body, good sound production, development of speed, endurance, breath control, and a solid sense of rhythm.
Musical works involving a variety of taiko styles are learned over the course of the year, with students encouraged to perform at our annual Australian Taiko Academy concert – a fantastic opportunity to consolidate learning and play in front of a supportive audience!
Key learning points are:
- Studying a variety of traditional taiko styles
- Learning the accompanying kuchi shoga (taiko rhythm vocals)
- Learning and practicing a musical composition
- Practicing pieces called renshu that involve specific musical and technical challenges
- Developing general musicianship
- Learning about aspects of Japanese culture and taiko history
This class is challenging and hard working, but most of all, still fun! Be prepared to work and play hard!
** All students 16yrs + will need to show evidence of full vaccination or medical exemption to participate in Live classes. Please be ready to show this to your teacher on arrival at the dojo.