Elements Advanced is a stream that is focussed on the experienced player, as well as those who may not yet have a lot of experience, but who are keen to develop their technique and musicianship, broaden their knowledge of taiko styles, and deepen their understanding of the instruments, art-form, root culture and tradition.
Artistic Director Ian Cleworth leads the training sessions with contributions by other Taikoz members. The weekly sessions will take place in our Ultimo Dojo on Saturdays 2:30-4:00pm.
In these sessions, we will:
- Study a traditional taiko style
- Learn the accompanying kuchi shoga (taiko rhythm vocals)
- Learn and practice a composition
- Practice pieces called renshu that focus on specific musical and technical challenges
- Develop overall rhythmic sense and musicianship
- Learn about aspects of Japanese culture and taiko history
This class is challenging and hard working, but most of all, still fun! Be prepared to work and play hard! If you are interested in joining the class, but are not sure whether you're ready, please speak to your current teacher or feel free to contact Ian (firstname.lastname@example.org).